The ImaginAction apprenticeship program 2013 offers a unique opportunity for Theater of the Oppressed practitioners to develop their jokering skills and receive master classes and individual mentoring from creative director Hector Aristizábal. In March 2013, for the 6th apprenticeship program, participants will be part of a significant peacebuilding initiative in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
– Apprentices will contribute to the residency by offering concrete skills to the ImaginAction team and to the communities we will be working with.
– Apprentices are responsible for covering their own costs except for a place to live, which will be arranged by Imaginaction and the Playhouse and will be included in the fee.
– Apprentices must attend (by skype or equivalent voice technology) a briefing on each specific residency to be given by Alessia Cartoni and Imaginaction´s director Hector Aristizábal upon selection for the apprenticeship position
– Apprentices will pay a lum sum of 700€ to cover for the many hoursof group training and individualized work with Hector as well as the supervised work with the entire team. This will also cover the costs of housing.
– Apprentices will participate in all of the activities unless otherwise determined by the local groups that we will be working with.
– We are planning to have a team of no more than 5 people with diverse skills and levels of experience using theater of the oppressed and or other community based theater practices.
– All apprentices will participate in the master classes that will be offer by Hector Aristizábal with the different groups.
– Each day we will process the work and reflect on our praxis. “Action without reflection is senseless and reflection without action is useless.” We will document our discussions and we will also try to document with video and photograph the process with the groups (when appropriate)
– Each apprentice will have individualized meetings with Hector to address specific issues related to the goals and challenges experienced by the apprentice.
– Each apprentice will have the opportunity to try out their own jokering skills (depending of the level of expertize) with the different groups that we will be working with. The team will focus on helping the apprentice develop their own style of work becoming aware of their unique gifts as well as addressing specific challenges.
Regarding the logistics:
The team will stay in the same place (a large residency) with a comfortable place for each person.
We will divide the costs of food and arrange basic maintenance of the place as well as cooking schedules. (We have done this in the past without major difficulties)
We are looking forward to this experience of mutual learning!!!
**If you are a university student, there are almost certainly funds available through your study abroad offices if you investigate, in the past apprentices have been able to receive academic credit for the experience as well!! 700€ to cover for the many hours of group training and individualized work with Hector as well as the supervised work with the entire team.
**Travel from your City of origin to Belfast: (for current flight costs, please check skyscanner.net)
**Food for the entire month will be purchase and prepare by the team according to needs and desires.
**Regarding the specific sites, organizations and the content of the work that we will be doing while in Northern Ireland we will be updating you and providing you with materials to read as it becomes more clear. We will be partnering with the Derry Playhouse as well as other community based organizations in Belfast.
For people interested please contact:
Alessia Cartoni – ImaginAction´s Internship program Coordinator